Inaugural Speech 2008

Go down

Inaugural Speech 2008

Post by Grand Duke Henry on Fri May 16, 2008 8:56 pm

Crowds flock to a huge platform in the picturesque streets of San Massimiano, Karkelbania, site of the electoral vote casting. Amidst much banner waving and cheering, Chancellor Charles Wenzel von Mettenburg walks up the dais steps. He shakes the hand of Lady President Bonham Carter as she proffers a microphone. Mettenburg declines, and begins to address the Duetarians freely.

"One month ago," he begins reflectively, "we were a people united. We were a region, a nation, at peace - and yet now tragedy seems a pernicious fact of everyday life. The death of the great Lord Illface; the polarisation of politics; the return of Spacey - these are grave events that have eroded the security and the homogeneity of Duetaria. But they are also tests of our nation - they are tests of our strength, our resilience, our ingenuity! This nation is ill! This nation is ailing, oppressed by terrorists and anarchy! We must rally, behind the flag of my Government but also behind the flags of all states!"

Cheering breaks out again - Dieter Hochkatzenburg and Lamberto Raimondi Prasca are on their feet. At last the crowd's laudations die down and Mettenburg continues.

"No nation is an island! We fight on because we are unified, because we set our energies to achieving equality and compassion! If anything, this leadership race has only confirmed the patriotism and nobility of Romardia, of the Potato Farmers, of Ravenburg-Morovia, and of all great Duetarian states! In one month's time, I shall pass the mantle of World Assembly Delegate onto the shoulders of a more deserving man, of a more capable man - but I shall do so with a clear conscience, for I will strive endlessly to expand Duetaria and to enhance its illustrious standing in this strange world! The Romans, they say, had dignitas. Dignity. Prestige. Brilliance. These are the watchwords of my Government, and of my vision, for, as a far better man once said, I have a dream! It is a dream of majesty, a dream of power, a dream of One Nation Unity; a dream enthroned in gold and couched in orchidaceous flair! The Winds of Change are blowing over Duetaria, and if there is one thing that I know, that I prophesy, it is this: there will be turbulence, there will be strife, but there will be Liberty! There shall be no inequality and there shall be no gulfs on the high seas of this democracy!"

"But what about this so-called war?" screeches a journalist hysterically amongst the cheers.

Mettenburg smiles briefly, and then continues - more quietly, more elegiacally. "I can only say this: there must be war. And yet, to quote Orson Welles: 'in Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.' Much has to change, and much has to be shaken and destroyed, for so much to remain the same and for so much to progress."

The crowd erupts in jubilant fanfare; Mettenburg descends the platform and embraces Grand Nomad Lloyd, shaking hands with President Shortman and King Wake. The gubernatorial elite of Duetaria pass through the civilians, clasping hands and applauding over their heads - as Hochkatzenburg said upon his entry into Salich in March: "Glorious, democratic triumphalism. It's all about the audience. A politician lives and dies on the back of his audience."
Grand Duke Henry
Duke

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:
0/1000  (0/1000)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inaugural Speech 2008

Post by Consul Clarkeos on Fri May 16, 2008 10:03 pm

*Claps in great happiness" Congratulations sir. Though i was unable to partake within these elections,i am proud to be Duetaria's newest nation. For Democracy and Glory!
Consul Clarkeos
Aide

Location : Arguing Loudly in the Senate House. WARNING DEMOCRACY AT WORK

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:
0/1000  (0/1000)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Democracy

Post by Secretary-General Cliff on Mon May 19, 2008 11:10 pm

You dare promote democracy on this forum! Thou shalt be flogged!
Secretary-General Cliff
President

Location : It varies. Unlike you lot I don't sit in one place my whole life.

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:
0/1000  (0/1000)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Down with Ultras!

Post by Lady President B. Carter on Mon May 19, 2008 11:51 pm

Democracy is the Founding Principle of Duetaria. If you make any more perjorative comments aimed at it, then you will be ostracised from the Duetarian Community.
Lady President B. Carter
MP

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:
0/1000  (0/1000)

View user profile http://www.helena-world.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Grand Nomad Lloyd on Fri May 30, 2008 2:21 pm

'How' said the cur to the dog most ruff
as the wolf howled to the moon as it twinkled good night
'why so dark at night when all around is gloomy bright?'

Well, I found that an excellent speech and here here to you. Holus Bolus and Cheers my deer for tonights a wonderful day for beer!

Grand Nomad Lloyd
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Lord

Location : Wherever I am, it cannot be real. I am present, but were am I?

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:
0/1000  (0/1000)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What?????

Post by Grand Duke Henry on Fri May 30, 2008 3:31 pm

Count Prittwitz-Berchtold, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Prime Minister Raimondi Prasca shift uncomfortably in their seats next to Lloyd.

"Been at the Mount Gay again, Grand Nomad?" asks the tee-total Raimondi Prasca archly.
Grand Duke Henry
Duke

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:
0/1000  (0/1000)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grand Nomad Lloyd on Fri May 30, 2008 4:57 pm

I fail to seem your wit amusing so perhaps you should remove it, I find it bruising.

Grand Nomad Lloyd
Grand Nomad Lloyd
Lord

Location : Wherever I am, it cannot be real. I am present, but were am I?

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength:
0/1000  (0/1000)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Explanation

Post by Grand Duke Henry on Fri May 30, 2008 5:28 pm

"Dear Lloyd," says Raimondi Prasca chuckling, "'Mount Gay' is a brand of rum."
Grand Duke Henry
Duke

Nation Statistic sheet
Military Strength: